Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Development of the Server
It's been a few weeks over 6 months since the re opening of the server was announced, and we're about 3 weeks away from the announced deadline for when the server was meant to open. While we have gotten a few development updates, which I'm thankful for, it mostly feels like we're still being completely left in the dark. It seems like every update we get we're told that there's something new that has to be done, but it never feels like we're getting closer to the actual release.

Obviously this is just how I feel, and obviously I don't know what's really going on, or what exactly is required to open a server. I understand that this isn't being done for profit, and that the devs have their own lives and these things take time, but, at least from my perspective, it feels like the dev team is over reaching significantly on what they want to accomplish. The reason that people played l2dawn wasn't because it was the most retail like server, or the server with the best custom UI, or because it had a bunch of cool features. The reason people played l2dawn was because we really like old L2, and it was amazing to find someone willing to run a server without having an ulterior motive. China actually just wanted to create a place we could play this game, instead of trying to make money, or flaunt power, or anything like that. While I can only speak for myself, I have to say that these new features, like all bugs being fixed or a custom wiki for drops or anything like that don't matter. Sure, they're nice to have, but I'm not here for that. I'm here for the game, and for a server that won't be undermined by some random guy with a credit card.

I understand the perfectionist angle, and I understand the desire to put out the best product possible, but the idea that everything absolutely has to be perfect is just creating frustration and apathy towards the server. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because dawn 1.0 was a fantastic experience, but I'm simply concerned that maybe the dev team is losing sight of what made this server great in the first place.

As a disclaimer, it's totally possible that I just don't actually know what's going on, in which case a more transparent line of communication would put myself, and probably a lot of people, at ease.
From the posts by ChinaTown I'm led to believe they are working to deliver the same functionality of the old Dawn but on a new and improved infrastructure and as soon as this goal has been accomplished, the server will launch.
Any additional functionalities will merely be a bonus and are not the reason it's taking so long, they simply haven't finished creating the same quality game-server as Dawn 1.0 was.
At least that's my take on it.
(11-29-2018, 10:58 PM)Arra Wrote:
You are not allowed to view links.Register or Login to view.
It's been a few weeks over 6 months since the re opening of the server was announced, and we're about 3 weeks away from the announced deadline for when the server was meant to open. While we have gotten a few development updates, which I'm thankful for, it mostly feels like we're still being completely left in the dark. It seems like every update we get we're told that there's something new that has to be done, but it never feels like we're getting closer to the actual release.

Obviously this is just how I feel, and obviously I don't know what's really going on, or what exactly is required to open a server. I understand that this isn't being done for profit, and that the devs have their own lives and these things take time, but, at least from my perspective, it feels like the dev team is over reaching significantly on what they want to accomplish. The reason that people played l2dawn wasn't because it was the most retail like server, or the server with the best custom UI, or because it had a bunch of cool features. The reason people played l2dawn was because we really like old L2, and it was amazing to find someone willing to run a server without having an ulterior motive. China actually just wanted to create a place we could play this game, instead of trying to make money, or flaunt power, or anything like that. While I can only speak for myself, I have to say that these new features, like all bugs being fixed or a custom wiki for drops or anything like that don't matter. Sure, they're nice to have, but I'm not here for that. I'm here for the game, and for a server that won't be undermined by some random guy with a credit card.

I understand the perfectionist angle, and I understand the desire to put out the best product possible, but the idea that everything absolutely has to be perfect is just creating frustration and apathy towards the server. I don't want to seem ungrateful, because dawn 1.0 was a fantastic experience, but I'm simply concerned that maybe the dev team is losing sight of what made this server great in the first place.

As a disclaimer, it's totally possible that I just don't actually know what's going on, in which case a more transparent line of communication would put myself, and probably a lot of people, at ease.

Hello Arra,

First of all sorry if we made you feel this way and thank you for letting us know about it. I will share the situation how I view it and as a result the rest of the team. When Dawn was shut down we (me and a lot of the people involved throughout those 2 years) would have these flashbacks from time to time about Dawn that we would share and talk about. Some of the memories were nostalgic, some were brought up in a joking manner and a lot of the things were casually talked about in a way of - "Man, if only we knew this or that back then" or "Oh yes, it is sad we never got to do that" also "Why the hell did we make that decision back then, like what were we thinking". While this was just a casual talk, inadvertently it paved the way to what Dawn 2 was all about. 

From the beginning, Dawn suffered from being announced too early and rushed into live production in around a month. And while in hindsight, looking at it now, this very low and weak start gave us a good curve of progression - slowly going up in population was the only direction Dawn maintained from the start, while most servers slowly go down, it also crippled us technically. 

For one, the website and forum were reworked 3 times during the server's lifespan and that was mainly due to the serious lack of features and functionality that those both platforms initially had. Then there were many server related tasks to do. We were forced to use third party software which not always satisfied us. At the same time we had a constantly growing population we had to maintain and take care of daily. In the end, we were so overburdened by all this that sometimes our work suffered or we were not able to introduce important features on time or sometimes at all. We were stuck in a closed loop basically. We wanted to do more things and better but we couldn't get there without doing more things and better, I hope that makes sense. 

So this is what Dawn 2 is all about. It is the same good old Dawn, with a lot of problems fixed. The were 2 reasons we announced it early:

1) We wanted to see if the Lineage 2 community still cared about a project of such nature. 
2) On Dawn 1 we had a lot of complaints regarding the game server design. "Oh why is that, why did you elect to do this and that"; so we intended to involve the community and listen to it better. 
3) We also wanted to hear feedback from old Dawn players on what annoyed them most about the first server as well as what they liked. 

While I understand that this long process of development is frustrating to you and perhaps many other players, keep in mind we have been already running a lot of expensive production ready hardware from even before announcing the reboot of Dawn without seeing any return of investment month after month, and we wouldn't do that if, after all we have been through and experienced, we did not see the logical need for it. 

We really want to get it right. 
[Image: pRoGtYz.gif]
Of course it's frustrating to wait for something you know will be insane amounts of fun. But if some extra weeks/months will make the server alot better, it's worth it imo. As long as no one is getting a head start it's OK for me to wait.
I'm trying to distract myself with daily stuff and check frequently for any updates on the forums and the discord server, that's how I deal with waiting. Everyone is impatient, me too, but I think we should give them as much time as we can and not complain about anything. Like literally anything, because they do this for us and they don't ask for anything, you should appreciate that. It's basically you get your drug for free, but just because it's delayed on the road you must complain. You can find another dealer, but like 99.99% of them are "selling" sh*t. I am also eager to see some grand news for an openning or any big announcement, but all we can do is give them the time they need respectedly and wait our asses for them to finish the product we've been all waiting for. A friend of mine has told me many times when I'm acting impatient - Don't push your luck.

All I care about is that the geodata is gonna be polished and there won't be that many crt errors when you port somewhere, or load a new zone etc.. Anything else is just pacifiers and muffins.
FeelsBadMan Wave
(11-29-2018, 10:58 PM)Arra Wrote:
You are not allowed to view links.Register or Login to view.
It's been a few weeks over 6 months since the re opening of the server was announced, and we're about 3 weeks away from the announced deadline for when the server was meant to open.
Hello Arra,
Hope you're well and not feeling too bad for waiting all this time.
I feel your passion and I understand how you feel for wanting to play the game you like with the people you like (err, more or less) on the server you like.
I understand it is very difficult to try to hold a balance between keeping yourself interested but not too interested (and drive yourself into madness).
I also understand the fact that during these 6 months you could have invested your time into another game and might had built up a new group of friends and created new internet social relations.
I feel that maybe back in June you said to yourself "eh, 3 more months till Oct so I can wait a bit longer and not start playing this or that" and did not go forward with something else.

My honest advice to you is to be selfish and mind your own interest. If chinaTown comes tomorrow and says "ok, no more L2 Dawn" you would have waisted 6 months of your time/waiting time and not had fun elsewhere.
Go outside, have fun, maybe study more, do a free course, grab volunteering opportunities, get job experience, learn a new skill, meet new people, meet a nice boy/girl, spend time with them.
1. If at some point in the future, this server will open and you will have time/interest to play, then you will play happily ever after.
2. If you would consider you don't need games anymore as life >>>> games, you would have enjoyed the things you gained in those 6+ months.
3. And if the server would never reopen, you would be in situation 2.

All 3 options are WIN-WIN-WIN to you. You have priority. In 6 months you can do free and paid online courses and get a vast knowledge in a programming languages and easily earn a starting salary of 30k Euro / 60K $ per year. (R language and Big Data / AI is quite on hype these days).
Regards,
Not everyone is interested in learning how to code sazzy Big Grin Some people play L2 as a hobby and they need their 'fix'
plus all of you should be old enough to understand that the staff won't put pressure on themself during christmas time, like any other human with a brain would do. i'm expecting to see the server open towards march, so relax and do something else.
Thanks for the advice, I've decided to forget about the server and play l2 elsewhere.